Wednesday 5 November 2008

A Quantum of Children .. erm .. in Need

Hi – Martin (the Grumpy one) here ...

As you may well know – we try and do stuff to help Shelter and support Audioscope – as a result I find myself with an e-mail from Stuart saying I am on the door for this years Audioscope gig in the evening – so I have to spend an hour checking everyone's hand as they walk in and out and tell them they are too late – they missed the best band. Nothing is too much.

Actually I am the least charitable person I know when it comes to putting my hand in my pocket – fnar – and if there's one thing I hate it's being stopped in the street by someone dressed in fancy dress with a bucket telling me I have to help Children in Need – particularly when it's the third person in the space of 100 metres (nearly said yards there – showing my age) and I have refused all of them – so this year I am getting a special T-Shirt made – and a sign up on my front door (next to the no junk mail / salespeople / drunkards offering to tarmac my drive/ god botherers / people I have invited round if you haven't bought a bottle with you notice).

And what will that T-Shirt / Sign say? It will say –

Blimey – I actually did something for Children in Need this year – I must be going soft.

Some time back – the two beardy chaps at BBC Introducing asked us if we would like to contribute to an album they were making for Children in Need. The idea was that a number of local bands would contribute a version of a James Bond theme song. Straight away Dave said he wanted to do "Nobody Does it Better" – because he wants to be Carly Simon – so we went into the rehearsal studio (Jo was in America at the time so we roped in our good friend Pete Bastard to help - Cheers Pete) – and demoed up a few versions of the song – and then forgot all about it thinking we had until November to finish it. This was in – erm – July I think.

Next thing – we get an e-mail from Tim saying that we have 2 weeks to submit the track – this is happening right in the middle of our recording and people being on holiday and stuff – so we panic – imagine we can't do it – and then in a matter of hours manage to record the track – upside down (meaning we did the vocals first with a keyboard backing – and then added all the other instruments afterwards – ((Jo - I hasten to add - had returned by this point)) which anyone worth their salt will tell you – is not the way to record (see previous posting by me) unless you are a DJ doing a remix – and they don't count (see previous posting by me deleted by Dave to prevent me being beaten up by DJ's in every town we visit).

So – to cut to the chase …. And steal from the Loverly Maria Ilett's mail – which I just got which was much briefer than this blog – and would have sufficed really so in future i will get her to write my blogs for me:

"check out our james bond cover on this link....a preview of the album 'A Quantum Of Covers' to be released on nov 10th on itunes only........

http://www.bbc.co.uk/oxford/content/articles/2008/10/16/a_quantum_of_covers.shtml"

So – don't ever say I don't do stuff for charity!!!!

Right - where's the number of my local T-Shirt printer and why is it I can't think of Children in need without remembering Joanna Lumley sat in her underwear on Terry Wogan's Lap ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAgdvPs8y0U

No comments: